Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie
Hands-on Time: 35m
Total Time: 1hr 10m
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups 1 percent milk
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 9-inch store-bought piecrust, thawed if frozen
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the chicken in a pot of simmering water until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes; let cool, then shred.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes (do not let them darken). Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas, thyme, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a shallow 1½- to 2-quart baking dish.
4. Lay the crust on top, pressing to seal. Cut several vents in the crust. Place the pot pie on a baking sheet and bake until bubbling and the crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
Who needs butter? This pie gets its velvety richness from olive oil, wine, low-fat milk, and a double dose of vegetables.
Calories 398; Calories From Fat 36%; Protein 23g; Carbohydrate 37g; Sugar 10g; Fiber 4g; Fat 16g; Sat Fat 4g; Sodium 561mg; Cholesterol 46mg