Makes 4-6 dozen cookies, depending on shapes
Hands-on Time: 1hr 15m
Total Time: 3hr 30m
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- colored or coarse sugar, for decorating
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
2. Combine the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer and cream until smooth. Slowly add the sugar, beating on medium. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture 1 cup at a time.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide in half. Place each half on a large sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten into disks about 1 inch thick. Wrap separately then refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.
4. To bake, preheat oven to 350° F. Roll to 1/8 inch thick on a well-floured surface. Cut into shapes. Sprinkle with the colored sugar, if desired. Using a spatula, transfer to a large greased baking sheet, sugared-side up. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Transfer to a cooling rack.