Oh the joy of chicken enchiladas, these are delicious and spicy, great for a Fiesta. Hope you enjoy.
Zesty Chicken Enchiladas
Hands-on Time: 35m
Total Time: 55m
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 pound tomatillos (papery skins removed), chopped
* 1 onion (preferably white), chopped
* 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
* 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack (5 ounces)
* 8 6-inch corn tortillas
* Pico de Gallo or salsa
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, onion, poblano, garlic, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add the cream, and puree.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/2 cup of the tomatillo sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
3. Warm the tortillas according to the package directions. Spread 1 cup of the remaining sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Roll the chicken mixture in the tortillas and place them in the dish, seam-side down.
4. Top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Bake until beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with Pico de Gallo.
Tomatillos resemble small green tomatoes with papery outer skins and a delicious tart flavor. Can’t find them? Try a shortcut version of the sauce by mixing a 16-ounce jar of mild green salsa with 1 cup of cream.
Calories 813; Calories From Fat 54%; Protein 55g; Carbohydrate 38g; Sugar 9g; Fiber 7g; Fat 49g; Sat Fat 24g; Calcium 378mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 1034mg; Cholesterol 239mg