Since it is a dreary day outside here in Central Texas I decided todays recipe would be...
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
6 to 8 servings
* 2 pounds ground chicken, coarsely ground preferred
* 3 tablespoons chili powder, plus 2 teaspoons
* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 (28-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
* 1 medium sweet potato (about 10 ounces), peeled and shredded
* 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup instant tapioca (recommended: Minute tapioca)
* 1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with seeds, chopped
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* Pinch ground cloves
* 1/2 to 3/4 cup lager-style beer, optional
* Toppings: Sour cream, shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese, chopped scallions, and chopped pickled jalapenos
Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Add 3 tablespoons of the chili powder and all the rest of the ingredients, except the beer. Stir everything together, cover, and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Just before serving, stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of chili powder, the beer, if using, and season with more salt and pepper, to taste, if desired. Divide the chili among warm bowls. Serve with the topping of your choice.
Know-How: Stirring in chili powder right before serving brightens the flavor of the chili.