Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
Makes 32 macaroons
Hands-on Time: 30m
Total Time: 2hr 05m
- 1 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)
- 4 large egg whites
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
1. Heat oven to 325° F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, egg whites, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla.
3. Drop packed tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
4. Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until lightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
5. When cool, dip the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Store the macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
If you’re short on time, omit the chocolate and serve these deliciously chewy cookies plain.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
Calories 112; Calories From Fat 60; Fat 7g; Sat Fat 5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 54mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 14g; Sugar 11g; Fiber 1g; Iron 0mg; Calcium 2mg