Spinach Salad With Avocado and Pepper
Hands-on Time: 05m
Total Time: 20m
- 2 cups fresh bread cubes (½ inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach (6 cups)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons Balsamic-Dijon Vinaigrette
- or bottled balsamic vinaigrette
1. Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with the olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, toss the spinach, avocado, bell pepper, olives, shallot, and croutons with the vinaigrette.
Place olives in a glass jar with lemon or orange rind and cover with olive oil. They'll keep for months in the fridge.
Calories 298; Calories From Fat 210; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 19g; Sugar 4g; Fiber 6g; Fat 24g; Sat Fat 3g; Calcium 120mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 630mg; Cholesterol 0mg
Spinach, Apple, and Walnut Salad
Hands-on Time: 10m
Total Time: 10m
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored, cut into large dice
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 (5-ounce) packages (8 cups) baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Toss apples with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Place spinach in a large bowl; remove long stems and bruised leaves. Whisk together remaining juice, olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Toss spinach with apples and dressing. Divide between four bowls. Top with cheese and walnuts.
Use a paring knife to cut fruits and vegetables.
Calcium 145mg; Calories 379; Carbohydrate 25g; Cholesterol 18mg; Fat 28g; Fiber 4g; Iron 3mg; Protein 12mg; Sat Fat 8g; Sodium 199mg
Pan-Grilled Tomato and Feta Salad With Lemon-Caper Dressing
Hands-on Time: 30m
Total Time: 30m
- LEMON-CAPER DRESSING:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 4-ounce piece of feta cheese (not crumbled)
- 3 large slicing tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, or 1 bag mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Make the dressing. Combine the oil and lemon juice in a small jar and shake vigorously. Mix in the capers and parsley; set aside.
2. Put the salad together. Heat a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Drop in the green beans and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, then rinse immediately with cold water. Cut the feta into 4 slices and set aside to drain on paper towels. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the tomato slices with the thyme, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Place the tomato slices in the skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip and brown the other side. Arrange the arugula on 4 salad plates. Place a few tomato slices on each plate along with some of the green beans. Coat the feta in the bread crumbs. Add the oil to the skillet and brown the cheese on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add to the salad plates. Drizzle the dressing over the salads.
If pressed for time, use packages of presliced vegetables found at most supermarkets.
Calories 215; Calories From Fat 147; Fat 17g; Sat Fat 4g; Cholesterol 7mg; Sodium 649mg; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 13g; Sugar 4g; Fiber 4g; Iron 2mg; Calcium 165mg