Tortellini With Eggplant and Peppers
Using only one large skillet, this vegetarian one-pot meal makes cleanup a snap. That, combined with its nutritious ingredients (eggplant and peppers), translates to a winning dish for the whole family.
Hands-on Time: 20m
Total Time: 35m
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, bell peppers, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and tortellini. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the parsley and ¼ cup of the Parmesan. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.
Fresh and soft cheeses, like ricotta and Brie, will keep about two weeks; hard cheeses, like Parmesan and Manchego, will last several months.
Calories 545; Fat 20g; Sat Fat 8g; Cholesterol 62mg; Sodium 998mg; Protein 27g; Carbohydrate 67g; Fiber 9g; Sugar 7g