I am not much of a stroganoff fan but this one is delicious and comforting on a cold day. I use rice instead of pasta but use what you like.
Photo courtesy of Quentin Bacon
Hands-on Time: 30m
Total Time: 1hr 00m
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced into rings
1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces (15 medium) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the green pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and the mushrooms. Continue cooking until the mushrooms give up their liquid, about 6 minutes, and are tender.
2. Place the vegetables in a colander, reserving both vegetables and liquid. You should have about 1/2 cup of liquid.
3. Return pan to heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cook the chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add it to the vegetables.
4. Pour the wine, broth, and vegetable liquid into the pan and bring to a boil. With a wooden spoon, loosen any brown bits stuck to the pan and let cook in the sauce.
5. Add the barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, and hot sauce. Whisk until smooth. Boil until the liquid has reduced by half, to about 1 1/2 cups. The liquid should thicken slightly.
6. Reduce heat and whisk in the sour cream. Do not let the sauce boil. Return the vegetables and chicken to the pan and simmer until heated through. Serve over rice, pasta, or toast.
By Chester Finn, June 2005 RealSimple
If pressed for time, use packages of presliced vegetables found at most supermarkets.
Calcium 60mg; Calories 242; Calories From Fat 42%; Carbohydrate 11g; Cholesterol 50mg; Fat 11g; Fiber 2g; Iron 1mg; Protein 19mg; Sat Fat 4g; Sodium 527mg