Quote of the Day...
“One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries taste.”
―Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatlez
Ice Cream Pie With Warm Blueberry Sauce
Makes 4 servings
Hands-on Time: 0hr 40m
Total Time: 1hr 25m
This recipe is: Kid Friendly
- 1 store-bought refrigerated piecrust (such as Pillsbury)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- special equipment: four 4-inch tart pans
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Coat the bottom and sides of the tart pans with cooking spray, vegetable oil, or butter.
2. Divide the piecrust into 4 portions and roll them out so they're slightly larger than the pans. Press the dough into the pans. Run a rolling pin over the tops to trim the excess dough. Line the dough with parchment paper or foil, fitting it up the sides. Fill with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice. Place the pans on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and paper and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over medium heat, cook the berries, sugar, water, cornstarch, and cinnamon until the sauce thickens slightly, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Remove the crusts from pans and transfer to serving plates. Place 1/2 pint of ice cream in each tart. Spoon some sauce on top.
If you don't own small tart pans, make one large pie using the same recipe.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calcium 180.79mg; Calories 540.55; Calories From Fat 42%; Carbohydrate 75.69g; Cholesterol 58.08mg; Fat 25.13g; Fiber 3.04g; Iron 1.07mg; Protein 6.55mg; Sat Fat 10.53g; Sodium 311mgReal Simple, August 2005